Skillwarz needs active Game Admins

United States of America
Clan: OP

Skillwarz needs active Game Admins

Post by impossybull » 18 Jul 2019

EDIT: For clarity, note that this post was written before supra relinquished his admin role, and Stickyyy's was removed by OMA.

SkillWarz suffers from a lack of active Game Admins. I doubt this statement will be particularly controversial, but it is definitely a sensitive topic. I want to start this post by declaring any conflicts of interest and trying to intercept conclusions people might jump to.

First, I of course am aware that I do have an active admin request out. This is not some type of "reverse psychology" post to try to get it approved. I applied for that role because I care about the game and I think I would effective in that role, not because I "just want to be a mod". The former you can decide for yourself, but if nothing else, my post history should corroborate the latter. He is my request if anyone wants to see it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=830

Second, this post was inspired by the events that led to this other post: viewtopic.php?f=10&p=4458#p4458
This is not a reactionary post to the outcome of the other post. Simply, the events that happened in-game reminded of this tangential issue, and I only had time to write that post then, and this post now.

Finally, this should not be taken as a personal attack of any kind against a specific admin, the Game Admin team as a whole, or OMA. If one wants to hear "admins suck and don't care", they can talk to Temptation K1ng :D. But the administrators are like the government of the game and it is just and right to consider at times whether they are doing their duties effectively.

This is a difficult post to write because of the nature of the topic. I care deeply about the game, and I don't want it to suffer from a lack of active administrators. I want to emphasize that I both like and greatly trust all of the Game Admins (and OMA 8-)). I don't think that OMA isn't doing a good job managing his game, or that I want "someone else" to have a Game Admin role. But the latter conclusion is necessitated by the fact that most of the current admins simply are not active anymore, and I don't want OMA's mental and temporal resources to be stretched too thin. :) What motivated me to write this post is some abuse I recieved in the chat yesterday by some players. That itself is not relevant (he is the link if you really want to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBIpChkTAo) but it reminded me how back in the day (say, a year ago) there were admins that were active on a daily basis, that you could, for example, often message and ask to join your lobby if there were some shenanigans going on. But now, continuing in that vein, I'd have to record a video/take screenshots and upload to the forum, and waste OMA's time on stupid stuff like that. As the game developer, I don't expect OMA to take on such boring administrative duties. Of course, I'm in no position to say that OMA can't if he wants to, but I certainly don't expect him to. I think the fact that there are 5 admins in the game asserts to that assumption. The same goes for iTerq; as he is very active with and puts a lot of work into the Map Editor, I don't expect him to be as administrative. In fact, at this time I would like to personally thank both of them here for continuing to improve the game. But anymore, I barely talk to, or hear from, any of the other 4 admins. You can look on the forum and see that, again, aside from iTerQ, there is basically no activity from the other four. The majority of posts and responses to questions and suggestions come from OMA and I, iTerQ (for map stuff), and other veterans like litenite and sviseerd. (For example, this is the homepage of the forum at the time I write this post.) If you think that I'm suggesting that the aforementioned persons are performing some of the duties of admins in their stead, then you would be correct. It is not my intention nor my position to insinuate that someone should or shouldn't be an admin, but the lack of activity from the admins themselves should best be noted.

Indeed, I have discussed my concerns about the lack of Game Admin engagement privately with some other players, including (ironically) at least one of the less-active admins, a few months ago. Around then is when I wrote my admin request. I would not have done so if there were other admins that were active, like there used to be, as it is only my desire to help the game that I would want to shoulder the extra responsibility. But as the situation has not improved itself, I am writing this post now. It seems that they majority of the admins just aren't interested in performing admin duties anymore. One admin (I won't say who, for now) directly told me he isn't interested in playing or being an admin. I don't doubt OMA's abilities to make good decisions relating to the game and forum. However, we had admins for a reason and it concerns me how inactive they are.

I have made many qualitiative remarks thus far, but my words are weak without supporting statistics. In the spirit of investigation, let's gather some quantitative data on admin engagement within the game. Let's use "last active on forum", "last post on forum", "last active in game", and "last post on Discord". Differing from the otherwise-quantitative nature, but being the best space to do so, I will also give my personal opinion of the effectiveness of each admin. The "days" will be days since active.

For the sake of comparison, I'll use litenite as a reference statistic as a reasonably engaged player, and, to be honest, how I would expect the statistics for a medially active admin to often appear.

litenite: (Not An Admin, For Reference Only)
Forum active: 1 day
Forum post: 1 day
Game active: 3 days
Discord post: 0 days

iTerQ:
Forum active: 0 days
Forum post: 1 day
Game active: 0 days
Discord post: N/A

My opinion: Seemingly the only truly active Game Admin, I commend iTerQ for his work on the Map Editor to help improve the game, and his responsiveness to my questions and suggestions.

MrTitix:
Forum active: 6 days
Forum post: 49 days
Game active: ~170 days
Discord post: 3 days

My opinion: Though MrTitix is somewhat active on Discord, he is clearly not interested in playing the game. (EDIT: See his reply below before you judge him too hard: that statement isn't really accurate.) One can seem to always count on him for good advice and ideas though, so I'd enjoy seeing him more involved.

supra:
Forum active: 2 days
Forum post: 30 days
Game active: 18 days
Discord post: 18 days

My opinion: supra, over the past several months, has grown mightily as a person but weakened as an admin. We actually talk relatively often, and get along well, but he just does not spend hardly any time on SkillWarz.

P3KK
Forum active: 0 days
Forum post: 29 days
Game active: 29 days
Discord post: 36 days

My opinion: P3KK used to be one of the most active and vocal admins. Now, though clearly keeping up with current posts on the forum, P3KK just doesn't post much, or play the game.

Stickyyy:
Forum active: ~160 days
Forum post: ~190 days
Game active: ~160 days
Discord post: ~180 days?

My opinion: Even though I actively played SkillWarz before Stickyyy ceased his activity, I don't think I've ever even conversed with him in any venue, and for that reason I really have no comments.

I feel bad that I need to point these things out, but I am also disappointed that most admins aren't "there when you need them", or really contributing to the forums at all; again, aside from iTerQ. But sometimes I feel obligated to discuss, for the healthiness of the community, these uncomfortable types of topics. It is my dearest and most important intention to keep this post as professional as possible. Every once in awhile there is a "SkillWarz sucks", "OMA sucks", "admins suck", etc. type post, and though this post was never any of these in my mind, I also wanted to make sure it did not appear this way to the reader. I hope I succeeded.

And finally, in the spirit of trying to mend problems that I illume, I could not write this type of post without suggesting additional Game Admins. All of these people, in my opinion, are active in game and on the forum, are knowledgeable of the two, speak good English, and keep a reasonable temperament. I am aware that it may seem vain or ostentatious to include myself, and only include two other people, but having been active in forum and in-game for the past several months, it is my genuine opinion that these are the people that most strongly fit the above four characteristics that are not already in an administrative role.

In alphabetical order: impossybull, litenite, sviseerd.

As always, I am interested in the community's thoughts. I really need to expand that list^^ πŸ˜‚.
"Practice to gain skill"
β€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ƒβ€ˆβ€ƒβ€ƒ"Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
Poland
Clan: SW

Post by UnknownGuy » 18 Jul 2019

Thanks for your honest opinion. I think that this topic was necessary :D
My youtube channel can be found here
Latvia
Clan: SW

Post by OneManArmy » 18 Jul 2019

Because of low player base we don't have problem with cheaters.
And anti-cheat is good enough to stop kids with Cheat Engine.
At this moment ONLY job for admins is to watch in game chat and ban when someone is too toxic. That's all...

Why i am not accepting new admins? Because sometimes new admin can make too much trouble.
I will not accept admin request if i am not 100% sure about person.

In summer activity is always much lower and it is normal.
I will check admin activity in game/forum after 2-3 months and then i will make decision...
United States of America

iTerQ, I'm glad we agree that this topic isn't facetious. :)

OMA, I respect your judgement of the situation. It is not that I think administration duties for the forum and game are not being fulfilled.

I heard from one admin (not iTerQ or Stickyyy) who said they agreed with my concerns and would try to be more active. We'll see how things evolve. :ugeek:
"Practice to gain skill"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
Macedonia

Post by supra » 18 Jul 2019

Yeah, impossybull, I can probably agree with the whole post that you made. Stickyyy has been gone for quite a while, and I remember Titix saying that he can't play the game cause his laptop can't handle it (well, if I remember correctly). It's true that I don't really post on the forums anymore, since my head can't keep up with all the posts that have been created (trust me, I still have a lot to read from my studies, reading is one of the last things I'd like to do) but I do check the game to see if lobbies interest me. Usually when I get in, I get straight out after seeing what ranks they are. Especially since everyone lost their joy when I was playing against mynameis and his teammates (rank +80..?). It was "imbalanced" so I'm not sure when to play anymore. I'm not really the type to enjoy 2v2, either.
One admin (I won't say who, for now) directly told me he isn't interested in playing or being an admin.
That would be me. Most of the time I am not ingame, and yes, I have lost interest from it. It's not because the game is bad or anything, it's because I don't really have fun when I'm playing with the players I play with. When there are good lobbies, that's when I'm not available or hanging out..
Personally, I would like to give up my admin role to impossybull, he's really mature and I have known him for a long while now (since Nov or Dec). I know he isn't the type to mess around with admin abilities, and I'm sure he'd be responsible and would help out whenever someone needs it. I loved helping out when people were in need, but that doesn't happen too often now, especially not when I'm available. Yeah, it was fun to sort out things with people, but since I'm much less active now I think it's probably the best to resign. I won't leave, I'll still be here and you can count me as a trusted player. I'll make sure to play the game whenever there are fun lobbies (and when I'm free of course....). OMA, I know it isn't up to me to give an admin role, but if you aren't going to give it to impossybull then I don't know who else should take it. We have had many discussions in Discord and I think that he is very civilized and perfectly suited to be an admin. Even if you aren't going to trade my admin role to someone else, can you please still take it off? I feel bad knowing that I'm an admin yet I don't spend time with this community as much as I used to. I think being a normal player again would be better for me.. thanks. I'm positive that impossybull will be active, whether he's admin or not.
Not as active as I used to be but I'm still here and there :D
France

Post by blasterant » 18 Jul 2019

I disagree with a lot of things in this topic and I am still opposed to see Impossibull as an admin as he is not mature enough in my point of view.
Indeed, Some game admins would be cool to "scold" or reprimand toxic players, but you can still ignore them and hide chat if it's still a thing.
France
Clan: DM

Post by picsouman » 18 Jul 2019

Because maybe they have no time to spend for this ? ......
Go to other online games then you'll see that there's no admin to ban people who have bad behaves, I though like you before but I realised that even if you ban 100 players for bad behave, tomorow others players'll do the same thing... For me the most important thing is to keep the game without hacker.
United States of America

supra wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
One admin (I won't say who, for now) directly told me he isn't interested in playing or being an admin.
That would be me.
Yup.
blasterant wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
I disagree with a lot of things in this topic and I am still opposed to see Impossibull as an admin as he is not mature enough in my point of view.
Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
blasterant wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
Indeed, Some game admins would be cool to "scold" or reprimand toxic players, but you can still ignore them and hide chat if it's still a thing.
even if you ban 100 players for bad behave, tomorow others players'll do the same thing...
Neither of these statements are accurate, because these are not what admins are for. Admins are not scold-bots with no bite, nor are they to be ruthless ban-hammer swingers. Here is an anecdotal story of mine. When I was pretty new to this game (remember when KRY was the best clan, and Connor was #1?) I saw many good players running the KRY clan tag so I put it as mine. I ran into a member in a game and they told be that I'm not allowed to do that. But I didn't listen, because why would I take orders from some random online? But in a different game, they invited P3KK to the lobby, who told me that he's a mod, there IS an actual rule against that, and that I could get temp banned if I ignored it. So guess what? I changed my clan tag, simple as that. My point here is, is that moderators DO have a significant influence on players' behavior, even just talking to them. And being able to, as an example, give a 1-day first-offence chat ban for someone who is abusive or belligerent in the chat, if they do not change their behavior from being warned, is a vital part of good game moderation. Having active moderators means that these players can be disciplined more precisely, efficiently, and tactfully. Many players (like me) came from other FPS games like Call of Duty, where rules online are different and/or not enforced, such as not having moderation over hateful speech in the chat, or even as simple as whether or not you can use someone else's clan tag. A player like that may unknowingly break rules, and it is greatly helpful for admins to be active to help coach these players such that they learn the rules of the community, and can succeed in-game, whereas regular players may not take the time to do so.
Because maybe they have no time to spend for this ? ......
But what is the point, in the long run, of having admins who don't play the game? There is not one that I can see.
"Practice to gain skill"

France

Post by MrTitix » 22 Jul 2019

In 2018, I didn't play a lot (at any games), because of personal reasons.

In 2019 :

- I don't play a lot, not because I don't want to, but I can't (I have no more internet co to play (Note : that I don't play any games because of this, not only skillwarz))

- I'm in study, and I finish the day at 19:00 everyday (and after I need to work)

- And I need new PC because this one...

I can play if I finish sooner, with a good co, with new PC
United States of America

Post by impossybull » 22 Jul 2019

MrTitix, I'm sad to hear that you can't play right now but I'm glad you're still around. :) I know you keep in touch on the Discord.
"Practice to gain skill"