Stuttering while using OBS Studio Preview

United States of America

Stuttering while using OBS Studio Preview

Post by spdr502 » 10 Aug 2019

Summary: When using OBS Studio's Full Screen Preview the game is very choppy even though I maintain 400+ FPS

Notes: I use a very common dual PC streaming setup. I run OBS Studio on my gaming PC and use Full Screen Preview to display my game onto my capture card. For reference this is how Shroud, Chocotaco, Dr Disrespect, Annemunition also have their stream setup. I have a 240hz monitor.

How to reproduce: While the preview is active the game is very choppy and feels as if it's getting ~20-25 FPS. I also tested with a Windowed Preview and it is also laggy. The stream still appears normal as can be seen here. This makes the game very hard to play while streaming.
United States of America
Clan: OP

Post by impossybull » 10 Aug 2019

I'm going to guess that this is something with OBS/Unity, and can't really be fixed by patching the game, but I'm honestly not sure. I only have one monitor, but I never have stuttering while using OBS.
"Practice to gain skill"
               "Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
United States of America

@impossbull This is the only Unity game that has this issue. I've played a few dozen other Unity games with no issues.
Latvia
Clan: SW

Post by OneManArmy » 10 Aug 2019

Not all unity games are made with the same Unity version.
In unity always something is broken. They fix one problem and break something else.

What happens if you change quality?
United States of America

I will change the quality and check. Though my FPS never drops below 400.
United States of America

Post by spdr502 » 14 Aug 2019

I tried all quality settings; it happens no matter which settings are chosen.

I have a better description of what is happening with some things I've noticed:
  • If OBS preview is visible on any monitor (whether built-in preview, or dedicated full screen preview) then SKillwarz begins stuttering
  • The stuttering mentioned actually very closely resembles 60hz refresh rate (but with 400+ FPS)
  • Since OBS Studio only records at 60 FPS the recordings I've tried to make don't show the issue
  • I was able to record the issue in slow-mo (240 FPS) on my iPhone
  • Video located here
United States of America
Clan: OP

Post by impossybull » 14 Aug 2019

I mean, I have a 60hz monitor. Sometimes I get a couple frame drops when OBS is on but it doesn't make that much of a difference to me. My guess is that 60 times per second, OBS hogs resources to capture and process a frame, so even though SW is running at hundreds of FPS, those extra frames, though they have to have been processed by the graphics engine, my not get rendered to the monitor. I don't know if this seems to make any sense but it is my best guess as to a cause of the problem.
"Practice to gain skill"
               "Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
United States of America

Post by spdr502 » 15 Aug 2019

60hz vs 240hz a HUGE difference.